Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

4.22.2009

The Waver

When we first moved to the Valley in December of 2005, Jimmy and I both got jobs in the East Valley. Problem was, we lived in the Northwest Valley. This led to a fun/long/tedious commute. Part of this commute takes us through Sun City. Sun City is a community in which you have to be 55+ to live in. It's a cute and quaint community that often looks like it is straight out of the 1960s. Driving through Sun City is often slow and tedious but The Waver makes up for it.

I noticed The Waver probably within the first week of our daily commute over three years ago. He seemed so out of place. The Waver is a little old man. Probably at least in his late 70s. He runs (well, run is probably not the right word, but he's walking as quickly as his little legs will take him) down the same side of Olive Road at the same time every morning. And he waves at EVERY SINGLE car that passes him. He always has a smile on his face and looks into every single car.

I think The Waver is an amazing man. Not only is he still jogging when his little body looks like it takes so much effort, but he sees value in acknowledging every single car he passes. It's like he makes his own day better by knowing he has said hi to each person he passed.

Every time I see The Waver I can't help but smile. I wave back. Not sure how many people give him that acknowledgment back, but I like to.

I can only hope that when I'm that age I am still able and motivated enough to drag my butt out of bed, get dressed and run down the side of the road waving at everyone I see. It makes me realize how special that little acknowledgment can make someone feel.

So to you all... I'm waving!

Love you!

3 comments:

Mrs. Amaral said...

That is such a cute story. I love it. When I was growing up we had a old lady in our town that sat outside her house in her wheel chair every day and waved to the everyone that passed by. We also called her the waver lady. She would get waves, honks, and some people would even stop to say hi to her. She definitley brightened everyones day. Everyones town needs someone like that :-)

Hanna said...

I have family that live in Sun City! I know that they are not 'the waver' though... It really is a cute story, I would love to have something like that to look forward to on my commute!

Erin and TJ said...

I love this and it is so refreshing to see someone that appreciates things like that in this world...both you and The Waver. I am sure you mean just as much to him waving back...cause I bet you're that most people probably ignore him. The closest thing to The Waver that I get to pass everyday are about 20 people on every other corner in downtown seattle that yell and spit at my car if you dont give them money. I am sure more folks would appreciate the waver like you do if they had to pass what I do every day. :) Here is a wave back at ya! :)