Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

5.06.2009

30 weeks...

Your baby's about 15.7 inches long now, and he weighs almost 3 pounds (like a head of cabbage). A pint and a half of amniotic fluid surrounds him, but that volume will decrease as he gets bigger and takes up more room in your uterus. His eyesight continues to develop, though it's not very keen; even after he's born, he'll keep his eyes closed for a good part of the day. When he does open them, he'll respond to changes in light but will have 20/400 vision — which means he can only make out objects a few inches from his face. (Normal adult vision is 20/20.)
Your baby's brain is getting smarter by the minute, but for Mom, the only thing that smarts right now may be heartburn pain. These days you may feel as if you've got a flamethrower in your chest. Heartburn is one of the most common (and annoying) pregnancy ailments and here's why: The same pregnancy hormones that cause your body's pelvic muscles to relax so you can deliver your baby also relax the ring of muscle that separates the esophagus from the stomach. The upshot? Food and digestive juices can head upstream from your tummy into your chest and throat — hence, the infernal inferno. Your expanding uterus, now exerting pressure on your stomach, only fuels the fire. And speaking of your belly, its increasing size is a definite clue that your baby is getting bigger every day, weighing in at over three pounds now. Also growing daily is his brain, which is actually starting to look like the real thing with those characteristic grooves and wrinkles. And now that your little genius can regulate his own body temperature and turn up the heat, he'll start shedding lanugo, the downy body hair that's been keeping him warm up until now.
___________________________

Well, I suppose I'm lucky in that heartburn is one thing I can say I have NOT experienced. Hopefully I don't jinx myself, but here's to hoping! I hear it sucks... :) Apparently, baby is getting smarter and his brain is growing, yea! I'm so hopeful that he gets the perfect combination of my smarts and Jimmy's athletic ability. I hope I DON'T pass on my legs, and I hope he DOES get Jimmy's perfect teeth. Other than that, as long as he's healthy!

Anyway, still feeling pretty good. Had a dr. appt yesterday and all looks good. I'm almost to the home stretch. TWO MORE MONTHS give or take. That seems so close yet so far away! Baby shower planning is officially underway. May 30th and June 6th. Getting excited!

Here is this week's pic.

1 comments:

Mrs. Amaral said...

are you calling Jimmy dumb?