Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

9.09.2008

We can't be friends.

My coworkers are being awesome. But I think GP and I are over. Capital O-V-E-R.

I was talking to a group of people around my desk, most of them offering sympathy which is much appreciated. I understand that these conversations are awkward. I've dealt with them before.

After the typical, How are you, I'm okay, Good, conversation, GP comes in and says, "Well, in better news, my husband and I are going to start trying next month." My coworker and I look at her and say, what else, "Good for you."

I may be overreacting but I just don't see this as the appropriate time for this comment. I just LOST MY BABY. This is my first day back at work. The last thing that I want to think about is you having a happy, healthy baby...

**Back story, GP is 10 years older than me. She talks down to me like I'm her little sister. She thinks she knows what is best for me and thinks it's her place to tell me so. A few months back, GP found out her niece was pregnant. She was telling me that her niece (who is my age) is not ready for a baby. She found her niece was spotting and going to the doctor and had the nerve to say that she hoped her niece loses the baby because her and her husband just aren't ready for that type of committment.) After this conversation, I didn't talk to her for a few weeks. I thought that this was the cruelest thing I'd ever heard anyone say. For her to wish that on her niece was beyond my comprehension, and this was before I knew I was pregnant.

So, today, my other coworker walks away and GP goes on to whisper to me, "Maybe this was God's way of telling you that you weren't ready for a baby. You know, you're young and you guys have a lot of things to sort out before you start a family."

I CANNOT BELIEVE THOSE WORDS CAME OUT OF YOUR MOUTH.

SO as of today, GP and I are no longer friends. I'm sure she won't know why. She's oblivious to the hurtfulness of her words. I can't deal with it anymore. She has a cruel heart, and is possible the most selfish person I've ever met. She's a nice girl, but a person who can have those thoughts and say those things is not someone I want to associate with. It could be the emotions talking right now, but I don't think so.

3 comments:

Mrs. Amaral said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Amaral said...

I'll still come down there and punch her in the throat if you want. I am still baffled by the words that came out of her mouth!! Who is she to say that you aren't ready???!!!....grrrr.

Anonymous said...

Seriously it is taking every ounce of my energy not to say something to her. I know I have no control over her, but I apoligize for her absolutly inappropriate and hurtful words. The sad thing is you are totally right when you say she will not know why....sad someone can live for that many years with no concept of respect.